Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1780 A fridericus borussorum rex gold coin

Hi, could you tell me a little about this coin and its value. It was found in a trunk from a yard sale. I believe it is gold, but not sure. Thank you for your time.

Hi David,
This is a gold trade unit, called a "Friedrichs d'or" from the German state of Brandenburg-Prussia. Genuine examples are scarce and in this condition worth $2,000+. The details of the design appear correct, but the picture is a bit too small to say for sure. A jeweler can quickly tell you if the coin is indeed solid gold, just don't let them acid test it or talk you into selling it for gold value (jewelers love to do that).
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).