Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1798 Gold Spade Guinue

I have verified that a gold coin that I have is a
All genuine King George III (1760-1820) guineas weigh 8.35 grams, contain .2461 of an ounce of gold, and have a diameter of 24 mm.  The correct wording on the reverse of the genuine guinea is M B F ET H REX F D B ET L D S R I A T ET E (date)  
Mine does.
Mine has been made into a broach with out defacing the coin.  The filigree at the ends and broach parts also appear to be of the same gold.
What value might it have please?

Hi Terry, thanks for the question. You seem to be completely confident that the coin is genuine, so I guess you have heard that this is one of the most commonly counterfeited coins in England - this coin, this year, this type. Let's assume there's no problem there. For it to have value as a coin it has to be detachable from the mount and able to leave no marks. After that the value depends on the grade and three grades apply to this coin: Fine, Very Fine and Extremely Fine. They represent degrees of wear and tear; EF being the best condition, visible hair lines, clear strings on the harp, clear definition on all symbols on the shield, no scratches, bumps or nicks on the face or the edge. That would give you a value of around 750. Worse case is a lot of wear and difficulty in making out the little details (Fine) which would come in around 250. In the middle, at VF, the coin values at around 350.

I hope this helps and would suggest that you find a way of deciding exactly what grade the coin is.

It is a very nice coin to own.

best regards

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

barry cutts

Renowned technology and business copywriter as well as established specialist in British and French coins; of any period for British but post 1780-ish for French; and any denomination....Origins and history of British silver coins (crowns, halfcrowns and florins) primarily from the reign of Charles I onwards. Matters relating to their value, saleability, condition, desirability and related issues. Broadly speaking I am pretty clued-up on most European coins too. Not American coins at all.

Passionately involved in British coins for over 15 years.

No organisational affiliations. ANA recently applied for, awaiting response.

Educated to Bachelor of Arts (with honours) degree level in English and European Literature.