Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1799 Liberty Coin

1799 Liberty Coin(Front)
1799 Liberty Coin(Fron  

1799 Liberty Coin(BackView)
1799 Liberty Coin(Back  
Hi, I have a coin, 1799 Liberty Coin. I would like to ask if you could verify if it is real or counterfeit coin. Thank you in advance~!

From the appearance of your photo, I'd say you likely have a modern day replica. There are many counterfeits of this year, 1799. See:

The key, of course, is weight, thickness, and diameter of your coin, but it looks too new to be authentic.  As a copy, if struck in silver, it would likely be worth approximately $35 to $40 to an interested collector. It is well known as being counterfeited in the numismatic community. There are a lot of famous silver coins in the world.

How to tell if it is real: A legitimate 1799 Silver Dollar is 39 mm to 40 mm in Diameter. The composition is .8924 Silver and .1076 Copper. The Weight: 26.96 grams. The edge will be lettered and say: "HUNDRED CENTS ONE DOLLAR OR UNIT". A total of 423,515 specimens are known to have been struck.  It would be a good guess that over the years many more have been "created" via the inescapable, unscrupulous con artists seeking prey.

For added information, see:

These "copies" show up on eBay from time to time. You may want to check out the US coins and currency category under Replicas to see if your piece is listed and what it is going for.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.