Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1808 carolous IIII 8R coin

I have a Carolous IIII, 1808, 8R coin and my question is, how come in ebay, some of these coins sell for $1,300 plus and others that look exactly the same only sell for a couple hundred dollars. how can I tell the difference if my coin is only worth a couple hundred dollars or over a thousand dollars.

thank you in advance

Hi Fransisco,
The value differs based on where the coins were minted. They were made in Spain, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Peru and Chile with the same design. The difference is in the mint mark and assayer initials that are to the top left of the crest on the back of the coin. The ones made in Spain, Mexico and Peru are the more common types; Colombia and Guatemala are scarcer; Chile are generally the most valuable.
If you would like to attach a picture of the crest side of your coin to a follow-up question, I can certainly identify the origin mint for you.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).