Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1867 Napoleon III 5 franc coin

What is this coin worth? It has a "A" mint mark on the face side, is circulated but very readable letters with stars and writing on the edge of the coin. It is worn more in the middle of both sides of the coin than near the edges. The edge of the face and letters on both sides are crisp but the folds of the cloth and the bird are 1/2 worn.

Hello Woody, thanks for the question. The A mintmark is Paris, that's where your coin was minted.It was a fairly busy year on the 5 Francs in Paris in 1867, they produced over 6.5 million of them. The signs of wear that you describe place your coin, I am sorry to say, at the lowest end of the grading spectrum and give it a value of around 10 euros. If it were at the highest end it would be worth 300 euros, so keep hunting.

Best regards

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

barry cutts

Renowned technology and business copywriter as well as established specialist in British and French coins; of any period for British but post 1780-ish for French; and any denomination....Origins and history of British silver coins (crowns, halfcrowns and florins) primarily from the reign of Charles I onwards. Matters relating to their value, saleability, condition, desirability and related issues. Broadly speaking I am pretty clued-up on most European coins too. Not American coins at all.

Passionately involved in British coins for over 15 years.

No organisational affiliations. ANA recently applied for, awaiting response.

Educated to Bachelor of Arts (with honours) degree level in English and European Literature.