Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1871 silver trade dollar

Question
I received in the mail a silver 1871 trade dollar from someone or some place in china...there was no return address. I did not order this claim and do not know anyone in China. My question is does this coin have any value? It says 420 grains 900 fine with a spread winged eagle on the back and a woman on the front. I am curious because it is a strange situation to just receive a coin in the mail from China with my correct address on it and I do not collect coins.

Answer
Rowena:

The date is a give away. This coin series started in 1873. Your coin is likely a replica made in China and not a U.S. Mint product. It also is not likely to be struck in .900 Fine silver. Replica coins require the word "COPY" or "REPLICA" to be on the piece.

For more information on the series, see: http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/US-Trade-Dollars.html

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to it's value and if it is authentic at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern