Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1945 (steel?) Penny with ring

I have a 1945 (steel?) Penny with a ring around it. Wrong blank? It is shiny like nickel. It has no mint mark just the date. It is my understanding that steel penny's were not minted in 45. Can you tell me anything about it? I can send pictures if that will help. Thank you. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Without first-hand examination, I have to believe it's just plated (silver/zinc/nickel?).  It's impossible for it to have come from the mint.  While there were a few 1944 steel pennies found, all the steel blanks were long gone before any 1945 pennies were minted.

Have you tried sticking it to a magnet?  If it doesn't stick, it's not steel.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College