Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1955 Sorocaima 22.2grams

Dear David,

I was given a 1955 Venezuelan Sorocaima 22.2grams for Christmas. Could you give me some history as well as the value of this coin.

Thank you,

Cacique Gold Venezuela
Cacique Gold Venezuela  
Hello Marc,

Thanks for your question. Here is what I found for your coin ....

"Minted between 1955 and 1960, the “Cacique” series of Venezuelan Gold Coins honored legendary native chieftains of Venezuela. Chacao was a 16th Century chieftain who ruled in the Caracas Valley region. This gold coin, made with .643 oz of gold has a profile of Chacao on obverse, and the legends “Peso Total Grammos 22.2 Ley 900” and “20 Grammos Oro Puro” surrounding the icon of the Cacique series, a fist clenching a bunch of arrows. This series of coins were minted by the Interchange Bank Suiza in Switzerland, as noted on verso."

Based on today's gold value you have a coin worth $1060.00.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics