Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1973 Penny , silver?

Hello, My son has been collecting wheat pennies and the like. I have two questions.
1.) I have a 1973 Lincoln Penny that is very light weight, does not stick to a magnet and looks and feels silver! Do you know of any minting of a 1973 Penny? I looked everywhere and I see one other fella found one, but that is all I know and he is in search of an answer as well.
2.) we have a 1959 Penny, that is very bright and does not look like Copper, is there any other metal they made that year, this penny looks mint shape, but does not look copper, more pf a yellow color?

Hi Rob,
There have been cases of cents being struck on dime blanks, however the odds of this being silver are slim since the last silver dimes was 1964.  There were trial aluminum cents but that wasn't until 1978.  The best way to know what is going on is to weigh it on an accurate gram scale.
It should weigh 3.11 grams   That would be the first thing to do.  Once we know an accurate weight, we can move ahead to find out what you have.

I have seen a few cents where the color is too bright.  There was no change in the alloy used (copper/zinc)but is is possible that the mix was bad.  Again, weigh the coin and we can look deeper into this.

You can email me directly at   Used ERROR in the subject line so I see it.

Joe Hylas
Omega Precious Metals

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow