Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1974 penny

My neighbor has a 1974 penny with the head of Kennedy beside Lincoln's head.  Any info on this?

I'm familiar with this specific coin. It is one of the more "famous" ones, "Kennedy looks at Lincoln". These Lincoln cents have images stamped into them after they leave the mint.  They sell on ebay from time to time for a dollar or two a piece to interested collectors.

Technically, you have altered coins. Some private company did this to promote the 200th anniversary (1976) of our Independence, and charged a premium for them. I checked the archives and came up with a number of similar questions to yours that have been answered by AllExperts. You may want to review them for added information.

The coins are novelties. The secondary image of Kennedy was punched in by hand on each coin.

The Bicentennial in 1976 likely has the largest mintage of these stamped Cents. Your 1974 dated cent is not likely worth more, in my opinion.

There is no added collector value to it since it was modified by a private entity after it left the mint. They were made as a novelty and sold as a collectible.

If you live close to a coin shop, they should offer you an opinion as to what you have and the value at no charge. Remember, should you choose to sell your items, get at least two estimates from professional coin dealers (PNG). I've listed a link for you to find them in your area.

Dealers normally pay between 50% to 60% of retail for items they want.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.