Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1976 $2 error note

Question
misprinted back over front
misprinted back over f  

close up
close up  
i have been trying for awhile to get some info on this and found some but not quit enough can you tell me what the value of this error note is please thank you for your time.

Answer
Dustin:

You have what appears to be a partial reverse on obverse offset error. At least one sheet of 32 notes have some with similar errors. The denomination, grade, type of error, size of error, all go into establishing value. An Uncirculated bill would bring about $200-$250 to an interested collector. There is no hard, fast rule for pricing of error notes. Less than 5% of currency collectors actively collect errors, so your note has a smaller collecting community interested in it.

Bills are printed in sheets of 32 notes and in three phases. The back is printed first and taken to a drying room. Next the front is printed and then allowed to dry. Last, the serial numbers and Treasury shield are printed in an overprint press. They then are cut and put into bundles of 100. Though errors are unusual, quality control at the Bureau of Engraving stops most errors from reaching the public. With billions of notes printed each year, inevitably errors are missed and find their way to the numismatic market and ultimately to collectors.

Here's two links for you to view different types of real error currency and their values.

Links: http://www.coinsite.com/html/uscurrencyerrors.asp or http://www.webpressnotes.com/currencyerrors.htm

You may want to check US coins and currency error listings on eBay from time to time to see if your note is listed what this type of item may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value and if it is authentic at no charge. Remember, should you choose to sell your note, get at least two estimates from professional coin dealers (PNG). I've listed a link for you to find them in your area. Link: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Dealers normally pay between 50% to 60% of retail for items they want.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern