Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1982 and 1988 D penny

Question
pennys
pennys  

pennys on top
pennys on top  
Hello i have 6 penny that look silver 3 are 1982 , The 1982 and 1988 D and 1984 D the size 21 cm weight is 25 g . i have a 1992 size 19 cm weight is 25 g . Also the 2012 size 19 cm 25 g . I am wondering about the 1982, 1988 D n 1984 D ,because they 21 cm and weight is 25 ? also they have a few error on them looks like. I have 1984 D that weight is 23 to 24 because the plating is coming off. Where the 1982 penny that size ? I have 1982 weight is 31 g and size 19 cm. Can you give me info ? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Victor,

Thank you for the pictures.

All genuine pennies are supposed to be 19mm, so I have to think your 21mm pennies are either altered or counterfeit.

As for the weight, 1982 was the year that the composition of pennies changed from almost all copper with a little zinc, to almost all zinc with a copper coating.  And the weight changed from 3.11 grams to 2.5 grams.  Both types were made in 1982.  This means it's normal for pennies dated 1982 and older to weigh 3.11 grams, while pennies dated 1982 and newer will weigh 2.5 grams, and pennies from 1982 can be either weight.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore