Coin and Paper Money Collecting/JFK 1964 Silver Dollar

Question
Dan;
We own a 1964 JFK Silver Dollar. The complete side with the president's head in gold is complete; however,the backside is totally blank. What happened and is there special significance to the image in gold? Thank you for your time.
L Hernandez

Answer
Hi Lionel,

Sorry but somebody has altered a normal half dollar, gold layered one side and planed off the other side.  Likely this was to be used in some kind of display or as a trick coin.

As it is, it has no collector value.  The gold value will be negligable, but there is probably a quarter ounce of silver there -- total value, less than $10.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore