Coin and Paper Money Collecting/morgan head

Question
My grandfather gave me an old morgan head dollar made in1883. He found it in his corn field while plowing about 40 yrs ago. He told me he thought it was counterfeit because he thought it was lead and the "83" looked different(the numbers are smaller and thinner)from the "18".  Im curious if he was right.  I have always wondered about it. Is there something I can do to tell the differnce between it being lead or silver?

Answer
Suzannah:

The weight, diameter and thickness, along with overall appearance help to confirm if your coin is a mint product. 1883 is a common date. A real dollar is struck of .900 fine silver and contains about 3/4 troy ounce of pure silver, or a melt value of about $24, with silver at about $32 an ounce.

Check eBay listings in the coin category to find similar items and see what they bring.

For grading, see: http://coinauctionshelp.com/How_To_Grade_Morgan_Dollars.html

For more data on the series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Dollar

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to their value at no charge. Should you decide to sell your item to a dealer, they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. And check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern