Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Nassau Herzogthum 6 kreuzer 1836

Rare coin
Rare coin  
There was 452,000 of them made and they are silver.
The one I found is not silver it's either brass or bronze.
There is a difference between them both but it supposed to be the same coin.
The bow, flowers, crown, and the six.
I was just wandering why are they different?
They are the same coin
Is this a rare coin?

Hi Joseph,
I believe your coin is actually a contemporary counterfeit, meant to circulate along with the real thing. Was likely silver washed at the time and probably circualted until the silver color wore off. These are quite interesting and actually worth more to a specialized collector than a genuine coin in comparable condition. The tricky part is that contemporary counterfeit collectors are a relatively small group. They often shop on eBay for such coins, but eBay can be a little finicky with such items and occasionally removes them if someone reports them.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).