Coin and Paper Money Collecting/newfoundland 50 cent pieces

My friend's dad was in the American navy and traveled to Newfoundland, Canada. He got a bunch of Newfoundland 50 cent pieces dated from 1889 to 1917...what would they be worth today, as Newfoundland did away with it's own currency once they joined federation.

Hi Patrice,

Condition will really dictate the value of these coins.  There are no really rare dates within the range you specified, so the values will range from under $10 for a really worn piece, up to over $100 for something that looks almost like new.

First hand examination by an expert would be required to determine exact grade and value.  Try checking for listings of coin shows in your area, where you can take the coins to be evaluated.

Good luck!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College