Coin and Paper Money Collecting/pennys silver or steel

6 only here
6 only here  

6 pennys
6 pennys  
I have 7 pennys that are silver looking or steel , 1943 s 1982 1982 1984 D 1988 D 1992 ?

The 1943 is a special, one year issue, resulting from a change in copper, due to the war. They sell for about ten to twenty-five cents in circulated condition. Copper plated zinc cents, struck since 1982, are known to have been struck without the copper plating. There are at least three reasons why your coin may be "different". One is a legitimate error, and the other two are alterations of what was a "normal" coin. If real, your coin should weigh just a little less than a regular copper plated zinc cent.

Reasons for being "different", or no copper coating:
1) It's a coin that was accidentally not sent through the copper-plating process after being blanked out and then struck. That's a real Mint error and it can be quite valuable. A fully-unplated zinc cent in Uncirculated condition might retail in the $100 range, although of course a dealer would pay about 50% to 60% of retail. Circulated examples might sell for up to $25 to $35.

2) It's a properly-plated coin that was dipped in acid to remove the copper plating.

3) It was plated a second time with another metal covering the original copper.

2) and 3) are simply altered coins that would have no added numismatic value. The only way to be sure would be to have the coin examined in person by an expert. If it's likely an error your next step would be to have it certified by one of the grading services.

I've provided two links for you to see what type of other non-error coins exist.
See link:
See link:

You may want to check eBay listings under US coins in the error category to see what these errors are going for. You may also want to check out these links on error coin values:

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to it's value and if it is authentic at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.