Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Russian mint mark

Question
I have a 1897 7.50 rouble gold coin.  Where would the mint mark be and what would it look like?  Also what is the "r" after the date?

Answer
Hi James,
The mint mark will actually be the assayers initials, found on the edge of the coin. For these coins minted in St. Petersburg it will be "АГ" for Appolon Grasgov. The symbol next to the date is a Russian letter pronounced like our letter G. It is the first letter of the word for "year" and is basically like putting a small letter y after a date on a US coin to say that this is the year.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits