Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Spanish coin

could you identify the following . 2.5 cm round coin marked ' Carolus IIII dated 1804 with head on one side. To the left of head is what looks like a castle, and to the right is the number 4 . The reverse shows a small circle in the middle with what looks like 3 birds inside.Outside this ring is divided into 4 segments with castles and lions opposite each other. The edge of coin has leaves all the way around. It is not in good condition , being somewhat concave, but then if i had been around since 1804 i think i might be a bit buckled too ! Any idea what coin is and approx value ? thanks for your time.
Chris Parris

Hi Chris,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
The Coin is a Spanish copper 4 maravedis. They are actually quite common even in relatively good condition. I'm afraid in the shape mentioned it would only be worth a few dollars at most.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).