Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Value of Coins

Mr Fern,
I have so many coins I do not know what to do. Here are a front and back scan of some of the silver dollars and a couple of others. I have a lot of coins from other countries but donít know where to go or who to talk to. I appreciate your time and consideration in a rough estimate of what this group of coins might be worth. I want to make sure my family receives a fair price if we decide to sell them so any information on someone trustworthy who can look at a lot of USA and other coins would be appreciated. The coins scanned are as follows if you cannot read them.

From left to right.
1922 Peace the mm looks like an arrow pointing up or an A
1923 Peace the mm looks like an arrow pointing up or an A
1925 Peace the mm looks like an arrow pointing up or an A
1927 Peace the mm looks like an arrow pointing up or an A
1922 "
1924 "
1935 "
1926 "
1882 Eagle on the back with mm of S
1903 Eagle on the back and I don't see a mint mark
1903 "
1903 "
1879 Eagle on the back and I don't see a mint mark
1921 Eagle on the back and I don't see a mint mark
1921 Eagle on the back and a mm of D
1900 Eagle on the back and a mm of O
1921 Eagle on the back and I don't see a mm
1889 Eagle on the back and I don't see a mm
1822 50 cent and I donít see a mint mark
1904 half dollar with a mm of O
1837 one cent and I don't see a mm
1849 one dime and I don't see a mint mark

Should I have these graded? If so who do I send them too? Do I sell these individually or in groups?

I thank you in advance for your time.

Hi William:

Thanks for your question. I am not compensated anything for providing the answers to the questions by AllExperts. I do it to pass on some of what I have learned in numismatics. I have made many friends and found quite a few error and variety coins over the years.

It's important to provide as much information as possible when asking a question. The date, mint mark and condition are important in establishing the value. Morgan and Peace dollars are struck in .900 Fine silver. At the current value of a troy ounce of silver at $31.37, your dollars contains .77 troy ounce of pure silver and have a melt value of about $24.26 each.

Common date silver dollars in F to VF condition retail for $30 to $35.
To grade your dollar, see:

For prices, see:

For more information on the coin series, see:

You may want to check eBay listings under US coins in the dollar category to see what these coins are going for.

On the others, grading and date also important.
1822 50 cent worth $50 up
1904-O half dollar worth $15 up
1837 one cent worth $20 up
1849 one dime worth $15 up

None worth cost of professional slabbing/grading.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.