Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1956 silver penny

We have a silver wheat penny from 1956  wanted to know if you could tell me more about it. It looks to be a real silver like metal with copper  on the side and the 6 in the date is pulled to the side a little ,making it look funny. Do you have any idea what we have here I know that they had silver  pennies in 1943  this looks a lot like them. Thanks robert

1953 1c Error
1953 1c Error  

Photos help to identify what you may have, but the real key is weight, diameter and thickness compared to a normal cent. The cent is 0.75 inches (19.05 mm) in diameter and 0.061 inches (1.55 mm) in thickness. The Lincoln, Wheat Ears Reverse cent weighs 3.11 grams except for steel cents (silver colored) made only in 1943 that weigh 2.67 grams.

If your piece is the same diameter and thickness, and is attracted by a magnet, it's likely plated. In 1950, cents were struck in copper. It might be a cent struck on a dime blank, but it would not be attracted by a magnet, and would be smaller in diameter, thinner, and weigh less than a regular cent.

I can't really tell what you have with the information provided. It could be worth a few cents (plated) or worth $500 to $1000 if struck on a dime blank.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.