Coin and Paper Money Collecting/77 & 88 steel penny's

Question
QUESTION: Hi i have question,when i was about 18,19 years old i cleaned a major department store sweeping floors and found change all the time,well going through my old coin jar i found these coins in there...now i have been searching on line and seen people talk about zinc, mercury but everybody says the same thing it does not stick to a magnet well mine do...i would like to know your expertise on this please thank you....

ANSWER: Hi Thomas,  Get a digital scale that weighs in grams.  You can try your local jewelry store and see if they are nice enough to let you get a weight on the two cents.  A steel cent with have a weight of 2.7 grams, a zinc cent 2.5 grams, and a copper cent 3.1 grams.   Good Luck! Troy

QUESTION: ok I put the 1977D coin on scale and it read 3.3 grams put on the 1988D and it read 2.8 grams I also put some 1943 steel penny's I have 4 of them they read 2.7 and 1 was 2.9.. thanks for your info let me know what you think, thanks again TROY.....

Answer
Hi Thomas, Without seeing the coins and using my scale which is certified I cannot say why your coins don't have correct weights.  Because so many of your coins are off I can only guess your scale is not correct, the coins are worn and have matter on them, or these is some other problem.  You might wait for a coin show in your area to get different opinions on the coins to be sure what they are.  Good Luck!  Troy

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Troy Thoreson