Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Buy old coins

QUESTION: How can I identify fack coins??
can you tell me the coin sellers and the prices of coins??

ANSWER: You can easily identify low quality fake coins by knowing what
genuine coins look like, and there characteristics such as weight
size, and other details.

The high quality fake require study of the metals used and even that
is not sufficient to identify a genuine coin without any doubt since the
metal may have been recycled.

It may be possible to show an old coin is fake, but almost impossible to
prove it is genuine, unless found in a proper archaeological excavation.

If you are interested in Lankan fakes please read my webpage  and the many links from it.

QUESTION: why some of the thin duit coins are not in the catalog?? I got 5 verities of duit coins and 2 half duits but they are not in the catalog (coins in 17XX)

I have not put them on my website since there are many websites online about these  very common Duit and half duit coins which were used in many Dutch colonies including Ceylon.  
I have about 2400 of these coins and have not had the time to sort them out and put online.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dr Kavan Ratnatunga

I can only answer any question regarding Paper Money, coins and Tokens that circulated in Ceylon/Sri Lanka of any era which extends back to 300 BCE. I maintain website which may help you identify your coin. If Country is any other or unknown, coin should have been found in Sri Lanka. Please Do not ask questions about any coins or currency of other countries including USA. Thank You.

I maintain since 1998 the largest website on Ceylon/Sri Lankan coins and Tokens with over 600 pages.

President Sri Lanka Numismatic Society founded in 1976

Sunday Times NewsPaper of Sri Lanka. See

BSc MS PhD in Physics/Astronomy Diploma in Museology

Contributor on Ceylon/Sri Lanka for Krause Standard Catalogs of World Coins and Paper Money.