Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Determining value

Dan,when I broke open my piggy bank, I invested in the "red book" to check for rare coins. None of mine are rare but I have a few 1982 & 1983 quarters which the book shows to be worth a few dollars. I also have a few old, but not rare, pennies that have some minor value. I live in Houston, TX. How can I find someone who might be interested in purchasing the coins at a fair price? It seems dealers are only looking for gold, silver, or rare coins. Thanks for your time.

Hi Ed,

Best thing I can suggest is to attend a local coin show and see if any of the dealers there are interested.  There are a couple shows coming up in Houston within a month.  Details can be found on the Coin World website here :

(just select Texas and hit the search button)

Other than that, you can take a chance selling them on eBay.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College