Coin and Paper Money Collecting/error or fake?

I found this dime that has a raised edge on both sides with no ridges, its a little dull in the lettering, the lettering seems to be bolder than any other dime I've compared it too and it is slightly smaller than another dime. was just wondering if you could shed some light on it       
         thank you: John

Hi John,

It's neither an error nor a fake -- it's been altered.

Somebody took something like a large spoon and tapped repeatedly along the outer edge of the coin, gradually altering its shape.  This practice of "spooning" has been going on for over a hundred years.  The eventual outcome is to make a ring out of it by banging on it long enough to give the outer edge enough width, then cutting out the center.  Doing this to a coin from after 1964 is a lot more difficult, because copper/nickel is a lot harder metal than silver.

As it is, it has no collector value -- just a kind of novelty.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College