Coin and Paper Money Collecting/odd proof set

Question
I just bought some proof sets from eBay. One is a 1975 set, but it has the 1976 bicentennial quarter half and ike. They don't appear to be the silver type. It's the hard plastic case - have you ever heard of this before? Is this a mint error?

Answer
Hi Joe,  Your set is normal for the year.  The U.S. Mint did not produce any 1975 25C, 50C, or $1 coins.  Because of the Bicentennial celebration in 1976 the Mint decided to start producing 1976 coins in 1975. To save money on packaging they used the 1974 holder type and included 1976 Clad 25C-$1 in the 1975 set.  The 1975 6pc Proof set (which includes the three coins from 1976) does not contain any silver.  The special 3pc silver set made for 1976 does contain a 40% silver 25C, 50C, and $1 coin.  This set was made in both unc and proof versions - the unc coming in a red package that is soft, and the 3pc Proof coming in a hard case with each coin in a hard holder.   There is also a clad 1976 6pc proof set and 12pc mint clad (unc) set for the year.  Hope this helps, Troy

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Troy Thoreson