Coin and Paper Money Collecting/50 cent silver halfs

Question
about the silver half dollars.  They are 1  1964, 1  1965,  4 1967,no mint marks.   4  1968 small D.  2  1969, very small D.

Answer
Hi Stephen,

Kennedy Half Dollars are split into three groups with different silver compositions, 90% Silver, 40% Silver, and Clad (Copper/Nickel).   Weights given are for uncirculated or proof coins.

Kennedy Half Dollar Normal weights in grams (Ref:  Red Book):

90% Silver (1964 and special edition proofs) 12.5 grams
40% Silver (1965-1970, 1976 special edition) 11.5 grams
Clad Coins 11.34 grams.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.  I recommend you pick up a Red Book, A Guide Book of United States Coins by R.S. Yeoman.

Yes, the following is a canned response designed to help the novice collector with general information.  If you need more explanation or you feel my answer is to short, please call me or reply with a more specific question.  I own and operate two active coin shops and I apologize in advance if my answer is short, to the point, or lacking detail.  Again, please reply or if I missed something or if you need more information.

Please remember to never clean coins, this can damage and lessen their value.  Also, soft plastics can contain harmful chemicals that can react with coins over time.  Try using inert materials when storing coins.  Plus, it is always a good idea to store coins in a safe.  The safe should not be exposed to the elements and should not be up against a wall to the outside.  These are just a few tips I have learned over the years to help keep your collection in top shape.

Thanks!  Troy Thoreson  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Troy Thoreson