Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Canadian Currency

Question
It looks like you mostly deal with American currency.  Do you know how buys old Canadian currency?  I have a bill from 1914 that I would like to sell.

Answer
A general rule about Canadian currency is that anything printed before 1950 should have at least some collector value.  With that said, older isn't always better.  Many bank notes printed before 1860 can be rare, but there isn't a huge collector base out there trying to collect them.  Generally speaking, Canadian currency can be broken down into three categories.

The most collectible and potentially most valuable notes are called Dominion of Canada bank notes.  They were printed between 1870 and 1925.  The rarest examples can be worth tens of thousands of dollars.  Even common notes in good condition can be worth hundreds of dollars.

Another type of money is known as Canadian chartered bank notes.  These were issued by dozens of different banks that operated in Canada from between 1810 and about 1950.  Values range widely and many counterfeits exist.  Your note from 1914 could be a chartered bank note.

One thing you do not have, but it is worth mentioning, is Bank of Canada Currency.  These were first issued in 1935 and they are still being printed today.  Notes from 1935 and 1937 are very collectible.

To directly answer your question though, a 1914 bank note from Canada definitely has potential to be valuable.  Please follow up with more details.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Manning Garrett