Coin and Paper Money Collecting/coins value

Question
1920&1929
1920&1929  
I have some old dimes. 1920,1929,1935,1936,1937,1941&1944. i was wondering if they are worth more than 1.50? That's what i was offered and turned them down because the coins are in really good shape. Thank you for any help you can give me. Lisa

Answer
Hi Lis,

Thank you for the picture.

All the coins in your list, date 1929 or newer, are considered common, when they are in circulated condition.  So those will just be worth the $1.50 each -- a fair price.

The 1920 dated coin will likely be the same, unless it has :

1) a "D" or "S" mintamrk on the reverse, at about 7 o'clock, near the rim, to the right of the "E" in ONE.

AND

2) ALL of the vertical sticks in the bundle (in the middle of the reverse) are completely defined -- there can be no worn out flattened areas within the sticks at all.

If it passes both tests, it could be worth $7 or $8 or more.  If it doesn't have a mintmark, or if it's too worn, it will also only be worth $1.50, like the rest of the dimes.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore