Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Lincoln Penny Error

Hello Ron,
I have come across a Lincoln penny that has an error. That I believe is not even explained on the two reference sites, you had given in a previous answer.The penny has a clean and well raised collar on both sides, and what is stamped on the coin appears to be in the correct place.on the front of the coin, Lincoln appears correct with out details. the remainder of the front has some very light tops of the letters above his head. Now the mystery, there is no date not even a hint of one.There is no sign of wear on the coin to think that it wore of, as the whole coin looks relatively unworn. On the reverse it has some of the same issues, even the stairs are missing. Well Ron do you have any ideas as to what this error would be called and how could I ever find out what year it is. I will be waiting your answer to what ever it might be.

cent error
cent error  

With the information and photo (2 of the reverse attached with the question) you provided, I believe you may have a filled die error. Sometimes greased or gunk gets on the die surface and keeps the design from being fully struck. It would likely have a value of between $5 to $10 to an interested collector, depending on condition and the degree of missing die features. I've attached a photo of a greased die cent.

Here are two sites to check actual real error values:

You may want to check US coins and currency listings under errors on eBay from time to time to see if your coin is listed what this type of item may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.