Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1797 SILVER DOLLAR

1797 FRONT
1797 FRONT  

1797 BACK
1797 BACK  
Subject:  1797 Silver Dollar

My apologizes, but I know little to nothing about coins and wish to defer to your expertise.  I have a few silver coins and was trying to do some research on my 1797 Silver Dollar and it does not match anything I have been able to find.  I keep reading about (3) major variations of 10x6 or 9x7 star configurations with large and small dates.  My 1797 Silver dollar however is a 8x7.  This either makes it a fake or something unknown.  I actually came to your website after searching an article on Dr. John Amato and his book on the 1796-97 half dollars.

If you would, please let me know what directions I should take to further investigate this coin.  I have attached several pictures for your review.

Major Noted Differences:
•8x7 Stars
•On the front side the coin does not have the normal inner ribbing around the edge of the circle that are present on the backside.  It looks to be double struck and is not centered.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the pictures.

In 1797, the number of stars was increased to sixteen -- either 9X7 or 10X6.  The mintage was the smallest of any years from 1795 to 1803, with only 7,776 pieces having been struck.  Therefore, only two obverse dies and three reverse dies were required.  So there is no way that an 8X7 dated 1797 could be genuine.

In my opinion, it looks like an altered 1795 Bolander 14 :

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College