Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1944 1 Franc

I have an aluminum 1 Franc dated 1944, but it has a face profile on one side and the number 1 on the other.  Everything I look up says the reverse should be a double axe.  What do I have?

Hi Leo,
I'm not the person you originally asked this question to, but I saw it in our question pool after the other person rejected it.
In 1944 there were two types of 1 franc coins issued in France. The one with the double axe was issued by the Vichy government which was in support of the Nazis. The one like yours with what is called a laureate head was issued by the allied government who were anti-Nazi. Both types are fairly common and worth about the same.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).