Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1998 D idk what to call it penny

at a glance, it looked the same thickness as any other penny. But at a closer look of the outer rim, I guess one side is the same thickness but if you follow it around it gets very slightly smaller just above the mm date and the rim has a very small flat spot right there with a / in the metal. I'm not sure that it means anything though. I will have to wait until later before I will have a chance to properly check the weight. So, is it safe to say that you don't know what to classify this as either? That's ok. thank you anyway.

My understanding of the minting process leads me to believe that it is most likely an altered coin (which is something a person asking a question does not want to hear). I know of no process and/or condition that would allow a struck Lincoln cent to receive a second strike of two reverses. The obverse and reverse dies are of different diameters. This prevents two obverse or two reverse dies from being placed into the chamber to strike coin blanks with.

Without the weight, thickness and metal composition, it  is difficult to identify what you have. It's not a strike from a previously struck coin, as it would be reversed (brockaged) and struck inwards.

The coin should be examined by an expert in the field, with the equipment to pinpoint what you have. I do not have this. You may want to pose the same question to a Yahoo coin group. See:

If you decide to send your coin to an expert/dealer in the field. let me know. You will have to pay for postage and insurance both ways.

See: for examples of "fake" errors.

Hope this helps.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.