Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Miss struck dime

Off center dime
Off center dime  
I found a 2012 Philadelphia minted dime that has a thick roll at the top and no roll at the bottom on the face side. The tail side of the dime is correct. I have been told error coins a sought by collectors and was curious if thus would be of any interest to somebody

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the picture.

In the production of the coin, there is a metal collar that goes around the coin when it is being struck.  Sometimes this collar does not get fully engaged before the coin gets struck.  The result is what you have -- an uneven strike.

This error would be considered very minor to error collectors.  Therefore collector interest is low, and its value is minimal -- like a dollar or less.

You keep looking -- maybe one day you'll find something great!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College