Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Miss struck dime

Question
Off center dime
Off center dime  
I found a 2012 Philadelphia minted dime that has a thick roll at the top and no roll at the bottom on the face side. The tail side of the dime is correct. I have been told error coins a sought by collectors and was curious if thus would be of any interest to somebody

Answer
Hi Jason,

Thank you for the picture.

In the production of the coin, there is a metal collar that goes around the coin when it is being struck.  Sometimes this collar does not get fully engaged before the coin gets struck.  The result is what you have -- an uneven strike.

This error would be considered very minor to error collectors.  Therefore collector interest is low, and its value is minimal -- like a dollar or less.

You keep looking -- maybe one day you'll find something great!

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore