Coin and Paper Money Collecting/replica gold coin

I am not sure this will be something you will be able to answer.  I have a replica coin.  It is solid gold.  It was bought in Saudi Arabia and has arabic symbols on both sides.  It is about the size of a nickel.  I have searched the internet and found something about replicas of British Guinea.  I am not sure is this a jeweler replica or a real coin, most likely a replica.  I was told by a friend whom I showed it to that it was a very nice gift and woth anywhere from 900-1500 SR.  I was planning on giving it as a gift to my nephew, but do not want to if it is not worth anything.

Thank you,

Hello Teresa,

If there is gold in it then the value would be based on the gold content. If it is a replica coin it would not have much value. We typically don't advocate giving these types of coins to new collectors because at some point they will take it to someone who will tell them the truth and it will be a big let down.

I would throw it into a wishing well or coin fountain and give your nephew a real coin of the same value.

David Mc

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics