Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1.00 coin

Question
1.00
1.00  

1.00
1.00  
Ron,
Hello, I was looking at my coins today and found this dollar. The nose is wider than normal. Also, I noticed that below the D in Ruthorford, there is an extra hair line, like an extension to what is already there, and a bump on his ear, almost like an earring..haha, I hope the pictures help you. Thanks again Ron, your the greatest!!! April

Answer
April:

Thanks for the photos and kind words. It appears like you may have a coin struck with die breaks. This would be caused from the improper heat treatment and/or over use of the die used in striking the coins. Over time and use, the die can form breaks, either in cracks or craters. On the struck coins, the effects are reversed and form raised lines or clumps.

Die errors are repetitive, and considered minor in value, unless the die breaks and/or clumps are large. Each die set used strikes hundred of thousands of dollars, and very likely, more similar yours escaped into circulation. Your piece may be worth $5 to $10 to an interested collector.

You may want to check Ebay listings in the coin category to see of coins like yours are listed, and what they may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern