Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1906 dime

Question
The reverse of the dime has "one dime" spelled backwards. The coin has a small hole punched through it, perhaps by the mint. It has normal wear. Does it have any collectors value?

Answer
Hi Mike,

This could be quite a find. I would need to see it to determine the value for you. I can assure you that the US mint did not send out any coins with a hole in them, at least not on purpose.

With the hole it sounds like a coin that might have been replicated using a sand mold to make a piece of jewelry. All of the images would have been reversed but only the words "one dime" would appear backwards to you.

If this is real it was likely caused from the imprint of another coin that was still in the die when this one was struck.

If you can send me a high resolution photo I can give you a specific identification and range on the value.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy