Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1951-d penny

1951- d penny
1951- d penny  

1951-d penny
1951-d penny  
i found a 1951_d penny that i need help in identifiying. It is not copper colored as other pennies i have seen. It seems to be more of a silver colored almost as if it was steel. i have used a magnet to check to see if it is steel and found out it is not steel. I have attached pictures of it. any help you can give me in identifying this penny would be greatly appreciated. Also if you can give me a value on this variety i would appreciate that too. Thnak you in advance.Ken

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the pictures.

Looks to me that it's been zinc plated, which is non-magnetic.  I've seen alot of these over the years.

Just to make sure, check the weight -- it should be 3.1 to 3.2 grams.

Considered altered, it would have no collector value -- perhaps a dollar as a novelty.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College