Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1967 SMS Kennedy Half Dollar MS66

Question
I'm looking at this coin to purchase thru E-bay at $25.30, but also says to "make offer".  Looking at your previous posts, it says that it needs to be in org. holder to be worth anything.  This coin is graded by NGC @ MS66...is it worth anything? or what should I offer?

Nancy

Answer
Nancy:

My personal opinion is not to purchase modern coins, raw or certified, at any price. They are not unusually rare, and most any premium is dealer hype. If you were try and sell the same coin to many dealers, you'd likely get no more than a few dollars over the melt value. When you think about the 70 point system used for coins, my guess is that many SMS coins would start with a MS65 grade and go up, so a 66 is not that high.

A NGC MS66 1967 SMS half was offered at $27.00 "Buy Now", or an opening bid of $19.00 back on Jan 13. It did not get a bid.

I'd rather have a nice, 90% UNC to BU silver half from the late 1940's through mid 1950's for the same price.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern