Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1975 uncirculated silver colored penny

I work as a cashier at a gas station, a customer passed me change and i thought it was a dime. It looks like a brand new penny only 1975 on it, silver all the way around. Could you tell me if its worth anything?

Hi Rebecca,

Just because it is silver in color does not mean it is silver.  Chances are that it is a normal penny that has been plated with a white metals, whether that be silver, zinc, chrome, etc.

The only way to be sure would be to have the coin physically inspected by a professional.

Good Luck,
Joe Hylas
Omega Precious Metals

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow