Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1977 $5 bill not completely cut

QUESTION: Hi, I have a 1977 $5 that is not fully cut, the lower right corner, looking at from front has the corner still in tack, approx 1/2 of an inch of the corner is attached creating a 1/2 x 1/2 area.
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you may have a cutting error. It is often referred to as a "butterfly" currency error.

Condition is very important in establishing the value of your note. Bills are printed in sheets of 36 notes and in three phases. Reverse print, obverse print, and serial numbers with seal print. They then are cut and put into bundles of 100. Your error likely happened during the obverse print operation when at least one sheet was mis-fed and went through partially folded. It went unnoticed through the final print operation, inspection and cutting.

The retail value of your note would likely be in the $50 to $100 range, depending on condition and interest.

You'd likely get the best price at an auction or selling your note to an error dealer. A personal friend, Fred Weinberg, is an error dealer. He can be contacted at:

Several sites of paper currency auctions are:

Here's a link for history of the $5 bill:

Here's link for you to view different types of real error currency and their values.

You may want to check US coins and currency listings on eBay from time to time to see if your currency is listed what these type of items may bring.

Here is a link to find a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. See:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

QUESTION: Hi, I was able to get in touch with your suggested contact but because of some stains on the bill, he wasn't able to offer it to his collectors and therefore, wasn't able to give me any price guidance.
He actually suggested I check with you on success on e-bay with selling notes such as this and what you thought it may be worth.
Can you give some guidance?
Thanks in advance,

Paper Money collectors want the best condition notes. Many pass on used or stained notes. You can check yourself. Here is an active one:

Without a photo, too hard to give a good price. Try the other dealers like Lyn Knight. Try posting yourself on Ebay. Try local dealers and see if they offer a fair price.

Hope this helps.

$5 front
$5 front  

$5 back
$5 back  
QUESTION: Thank you again, I didn't realize I could post any pictures for your viewing.
I've attached some now.
I saw the ebay listing, mine seems not as drastic and I do not know of any dealers in my local area, but then again, I've never paid much attention.
Please let me know your thoughts on the pics.
Some of the stains or after, some around edges appear to be printing issues.

Nice note. With stains, probably would grade EF. My guess would be a retail in the $75 range. Surprised Fred wasn't interested.

Try these currency dealers at:

You might also want to contact James Essence at:
He does error auctions, and might be willing to list your error note for a fee.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.