Coin and Paper Money Collecting/$200 1 pound .999 fine silver Titanic coin

I recently purchased at a moving sale a box of assorted US and foreign coins. At the bottom of the box I found this .999 fine silver coin with a denomination of $200.00. It is in plastic shrink wrap housed in a cherry wood box engraved with a rendition of the Titanic. One side of the coin has the Titanic sinking with the words "S.S. TITANIC...A SHIP TO REMEMBER..." and the other side has "IN MEMORY of the 1503 souls who died" . Also, One pound .999 fine silver, the $200 denomination and the date of April 14, 1912.  On the rim it is numbered 0244.
    My questions are: what is it, is there any real value in it other than the silver content, and should I keep it?
    Thank you for your time,
    Ron Haggerty

Hi Ron,

Your silver art round contains 14.6 Troy ounces of pure silver -- currently about $420 worth of silver.

One did recently sell on eBay for $600, but others have been listed since then and did not sell at a $500 level.  So if you can find the right buyer, you can get a premium over the silver value, but it may take time to find that buyer.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College