Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2000 Maryland state quarter

Question
I found this in my change and wondered why it does not stick to a magnet?Same with a 2001 Rhode Island I have.Is there silver in these coins?Both have a D mint mark.Thanx and hope to hear from you soon.

Answer
James,

No US quarters are supposed to stick to a magnet -- silver or not.  Since 1965 (other than the silver proofs) all US quarters are made from mostly copper, with a little nickel mixed into the outer layer -- supposedly not enough nickel to stick to a magnet.

The only quarters that will have silver in them are the S-mint proofs -- and only those that do NOT show the copper stripe within the reeding on the edge of the coin.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore