Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2000 Maryland state quarter

I found this in my change and wondered why it does not stick to a magnet?Same with a 2001 Rhode Island I have.Is there silver in these coins?Both have a D mint mark.Thanx and hope to hear from you soon.

No US quarters are supposed to stick to a magnet -- silver or not.  Since 1965 (other than the silver proofs) all US quarters are made from mostly copper, with a little nickel mixed into the outer layer -- supposedly not enough nickel to stick to a magnet.

The only quarters that will have silver in them are the S-mint proofs -- and only those that do NOT show the copper stripe within the reeding on the edge of the coin.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College