Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2000 Maryland state quarter

Question
QUESTION: I found this in my change today,and put a magnet to it and it stuck to it.The mint mark is a D but have checked on-line, and from what I have read, this mint mark says there is  no silver content in it.Can you explain why this is??? Thanx so much and look forward to hearing from you.

ANSWER: James:

Only certain kinds of metal are attracted to magnets (common examples are iron, steel, nickel, and cobalt). US quarters don't have enough of any of these. Weigh your coin and compare it to the below. It is likely a copy. Another explanation is it may have been buried in magnetic soil. You don't give the condition of the piece.

From Wikipedia: "The current clad version is two layers of cupro-nickel (75% copper, 25% nickel) on a core of pure copper[2] giving a total composition of 8.33% Ni with the remainder Cu, weighs 5.670 grams (0.2000 avoirdupois oz, 1/80th of a pound, 0.1823 troy oz), diameter 0.955 inches (24.26 mm), width 1.75 millimeters (0.069 in) with a reeded edge."

QUESTION: Have no scale to weigh it but it has that distinctive sound of silver when dropped on a hard surface compared to other quarters.How could this be a copy?Thanx

Answer
James:

You're asking for the impossible. No weight, diameter or thickness, no photo. I don't know. How can it be real? The U.S. mint is not striking coins for world countries, and they do not use any coin planchet material attracted by a magnet. Silver, if that is what you have, is not one of these metals. Maybe somebody plated it with a magnet attracting metal.

You may want to check Ebay listings in the error coin category to see of coins like yours are listed, and what they may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern