Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2000 penny color

I found a 2000 Lincoln penny that is gold in color. Any idea why?

Thank you for your help.

A lot of times companies will gold plate coins in order to sell them for more than face value. You can often find state quarter sets that have been gold or platinum plated to increase their appeal to collectors.

In some cases we have seen where the employee of a plating company would put coins, especially pennies into the plating tank at the beginning of the week and then fish them out at the end of the week after they had been plated many times. The most extreme case we ever saw were pennies that had 2 grams of gold on them and they were worth almost $100 after refining.

Chances are you have one of the ones that was plated to make it look good. If you weigh it you will find it to be about 2.5 grams if it is over 3 then you have a good amount of gold on it.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics