Coin and Paper Money Collecting/China Kiangnan Silver Dollar

Question
Kiangnan Dollar
Kiangnan Dollar  
Hi Dmitry

I found you through a web search as you had answered another persons question as to the authenticity of a Kiangnan Silver dollar with unique markings.  I seem to have the same coin which I just acquired in Mongolia from an old Mongolian lady who had it in her house along with a couple Fat Man dollars, a kuang hsu dollar and a couple British trade dollars...all of which are authentic.  I am fairly familiar with the Kiangnan coins so I was intrigued with this unusual design as I have never seen it before.  Did you end up determining if it is indeed a fake?  Thanks in advance for your response.

Answer
Hi Wesley,
The coin pictured is indeed a replica, as is evident by inconsistent details most notably the rim denticles and non-silver color and luminosity of the surface). Believe it or not, Asia is the least likely place to find authentic Asian coins, Mongolia included. The majority of them seem to have ended up in the US and Britain, and Asian collectors have just recently begun buying them back home in large numbers.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits