Coin and Paper Money Collecting/EDVARDVS VII coin

Family coin
Family coin  

Family coin
Family coin  
I've had this coin in my family for nearly 60 years and I wanted to find out if it has any value but there is no dating on the back under the George and the dragon, is this normal to be not dated or do I have a fake?

Hi Carl,
This is a privately made novelty version of a British sovereign. The normal sovereign coins are 22kt gold, but most novelty versions are not precious metals. I would not call it a fake, since it's not really trying to pass off as a genuine example with the missing date and all. As far as value it's worth a few dollars as one of those curiosities.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).