Coin and Paper Money Collecting/error penny

Question
hi i found a penny that reads 1751 but i think it was to be 1951 it looks like it was struck twice i no nothing about coins i just listed the pennys that i found in grandma's attic but i am not sure if i should remove it maybe it has value can you look to see at my auction if my penny is worth anything
thanks jeannie  

my ebay is sellsellsell631

Answer
Hi Jeannie,

That 1751 has just been damaged, at some time after it left the mint -- no collector value.

The $29.99 you're asking is probably not unreasonable for that lot.  However, the problem you're having selling it is due to the uncertainty of exactly what you're selling.  You need to let the buyer know exactly how many of each of the wheat, indian, and flying eagle cents they're getting.  And most likely the flying eagle pennies will be the most valuable, so you need to show pictures of them.

The same kind of thing applies to the other listing -- the one with the half dollars and such -- only I think you may be charging too much for this lot.  Add up all the non-silver Kennedy halves, plus the Eisenhower dollars, plus the other non-silver quarters and dimes, all at face value.  Then add up the face value of the silver US coins and multiply by 20.  The grand total of all this is what that lot is really worth.

Try relisting these with the corrections and see what happens.  Keep in mind the point of view of the buyer -- if you came across this listing, would you be willing to pay the asking price based on the information provided?

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore