Coin and Paper Money Collecting/gold florin coin

gold coin
gold coin  

gold coin
gold coin  
I have what appears to be a gold florin coin, but I have only been able to get the exact picture of it in the silver fore matte.I would like to if this coin was struck in gold. > disc. it has a wrinkled edge appears to st. john the Baptist holding a staff with a cross and his right arm extended out with and oval triangle with a scorpion in the middle of it above his arm. has a lily on back.

Hi Donald,

Just from the pictures, I believe you have a replica.  It appears that the god plating is worn away at the edges and also there is the die crack running across the back of the coin through the "lily".
It was most likely cast.
Genuine ones are extremely rare, and when coins are that rare, copies are numerous.

However, have someone physically inspect the coin.  I am at a loss working from a couple of pictures.

Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow