Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Misprint?

Hi, I have been spending alot of time trying to find out about the coin that I have. It is a Liberty Head V-Nickel from what I can tell from matching the front and back. The only thing is that the date stamped on it is 1801 and my understanding is that they weren't made that early. I am sure the date says 1801 and am sure of the design as the Liberty Head V-Nickel. Can you please tell me what you think about this? Thank you very much.

Liberty Nickel
Liberty Nickel  

This design was first struck in 1883. Without a close-up photo of the date, it is difficult to give you a good answer, but my best guess is that either something covered the third digit of the date, such as grease, dirt, and grime (gunk), making it appear as a "0", or it is altered. Altered coins have no added numismatic value. The alteration is most likely a 1891 dated coin that had the "9" turned into a "0".

You don't give the grade of your coin, so it is hard to give you the value of a "real" error, but an interested collector may pay an extra $5 to $10 for the filled die or obstructed date error.

I've attached a photo of an altered to "1913" date nickel for you to compare.

You may want to check Ebay listings in the coin category to see of coins like yours are listed, and what they may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.